Translate

Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Day 3:  How are we doing?
How I see myself in yoga
Closer to how I probably look in class
It's Dec. 3...the third day of our start toward gaining control of our eating, our health, and our lives.

I weighed in today at 160.1.  Not much of a drop since Monday, but I swear I could see it in my face as soon as I got up this morning.  I'll take it.

To what do I attribute my rapid weight loss of .9 pound since Monday?  (I'm being facetious; I would have hoped for more, but obviously I didn't deserve any more than that.)  Well, I gotta say it's probably a reduction in alcohol intake.  On Monday I had none.  On Tuesday I had 2 glasses of chardonnay after yoga class.  I've been drinking a lot more water too. 

The most remarkable thing I've done thus far, however, was to put back a bag of leftover turkey casserole that I'd just taken out of the fridge.  This was my personal bag of emergency nutrition:  a strange mix of leftover kale salad, Waldorf salad, brown rice and turkey.  My husband would never eat that many weird things mixed together, so the bag is all mine.  I dip into it when I get truly hungry.  But yesterday when  pulled it out of the fridge, I held it in my hand for just a moment and then realized, "Hey, my stomach really doesn't want this right now."  And, just like that, I put it back in the fridge.  That split second of communication between my mind and my stomach saved me from overindulging at that moment.  I had a drink of water instead, and then--fairly impressed with myself--I sauntered out of the kitchen.

Oh, wait, I just remembered another positive event: I chose to not lick the spoon I'd used dish out my husband's salad dressing.  It wasn't because I didn't want the calories.  It was because I'd just brushed my teeth and I knew the garlic and cheese would leave a bad taste in my mouth--a taste I might be tempted to cover up by eating something else.  Lesson learned: if you're tempted to eat something you shouldn't, go brush your teeth instead!

It's those little moments that add up to Bucket List Weight Loss.  Communication with your gut is something I mention in BLWL Concept #2.  That one's not about losing weight, but rather asking your stomach what it wants and listening for the answer.  You have a miraculous machine down there which somehow manages to keep working regardless of the crap that our minds tell us to send down there.  Have respect for it.  Don't make it work so hard processing all that inferior fuel.  Give it a rest.

That reminds me, I'm going to bed hungry tonight!  Bring on that growly feeling!! I know tomorrow will be even better because of it!

Share your comments below!

No comments:

Post a Comment