Translate

Monday, December 1, 2014



 Excusing vs. Understanding
So we've gained back some weight.  We have, after all, been yo-yoing all our lives, so the cycle is more natural than not. We all have our reasons, most of which we cannot excuse.  Therefore, making excuses for our weight gains does us no good whatsoever,  In fact, having "excuses" for something is a way of justifying--or making right--our behaviors.

Understanding our behaviors, however, is another matter.  If we understand why an automobile quits functioning correctly, we'll know how to get it fixed. That makes a lot more sense than excusing the issue and buying a brand new car.  It's the same with our weight control issues.  If we understand why we regained the weight, we already have the tools and knowledge to fix the problem, especially if you've already read my book, Bucket List Weight Loss.

I totally understand why I've gained back 14 pounds over the past four years:  I ate more calories than I was burning!  More precisely,  I exercised less because I was recovering from injuries.  I "tasted" too much of the food I prepared for guests and parties.  I drank more alcohol.  I took a hiatus from yoga.  I used food to keep awake while driving long distances to dog agility trials.  I wrote a lot more magazine articles this year and had the Peanut M&Ms next to my computer to keep me there working to meet deadlines.

None of these, however, is an excuse.  I should have found non-eating ways to deal with those situations, but I just got lazy.  Now I have to become UN-lazy once again.


Understanding = Acceptance
How many times have you loathed yourself for gaining back a few pounds?  The negative self talk is enough to send you spiraling deeper into a pit of depression that can once again trigger binge eating or even drinking. But if you understand the actual reasons for your weight rebound, then you automatically have the tools necessary to repair the problem.  Just think of it as a malfunction rather than a personal defeat.  Address each reason  intellectually, rather than emotionally.  Take measures to fix each reason.  And use the Bucket List Weight Loss concepts to get the job done.


Your lesson for today:  
List the reasons why you've regained weight in the past year.  Remember, they're not excuses!  They are reasons!  Come to understand the reasons, and then find the tools in Bucket List Weight Loss to fix the problem.  Key words:  water, movement, gut talk, hunger, whole foods, calorie-counting, daily weighing, no bandage eating (?!)

My numbers for Dec. 1:
  • Weight:  161 pounds
  • Ideal weight:  147.5
  • Lowest weight in the past 4 years:  141.5
  • Age:  62
  • Height:  5'10"
  • Size: 8 (barely)

No comments:

Post a Comment