Translate

Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Don't try to burn it off

My goal in life used to be to exercise so much that I could eat whatever I wanted and not gain weight.

This unrealistic goal earned me two worn-out hips at age 40, leading to a series of four total hip replacements over the next 11 years.

It was unrealistic because I didn't have a body that could take that amount of pounding cardio exercise.  I was in shape, but I was also carrying extra weight that literally wore out my joints.  My approach to exercise/weight control was compulsive, like an eating disorder.

Now that I'm thin, older and smarter, I exercise because I enjoy the movement.  I also do it to keep my metabolism working properly, and because it makes me feel  physically and psychologically healthy.  Exercise definitely contributes to weight reduction and maintenance, but it should not be used to burn off calories you never should have consumed in the first place.

Avoid the mentality of  "I just walked five miles, so now I can have an extra treat."  Likewise, avoid the  thought that "I just had a Snickers so now I must do 40 minutes of cardio to burn it off."  Don't fall victim to this compulsive behavior.  Embrace regular daily exercise for what it is: a ritual to keep your engine burning efficiently, and to speed the process of burning up your normal daily caloric intake.  It should not be used to try to remedy an "oops" in your daily diet. 

Download the e-book:  Bucket List Weight Loss
By Jan Manning
$2.99 at Amazon.  No e-reader necessary; read it on your computer.  Lose the weight.

1 comment:

  1. If you do proper and regular exercise then routine eating never cause the weight gain.
    If you don't exercise then a little eating can cause the weight gain.
    Do workout daily and eat healthy & nutritional diet to be healthy and smart.

    Maitland Fitness

    ReplyDelete